Mark P. Becker served as Georgia State University's seventh president. With more than 51,000 students seeking degrees, Georgia State is one of the nation's largest urban research universities.
Ph.D. Statistics, The Pennsylvania State University University Park, Pennsylvania. August 1985 Thesis Advisor: Clifford C. Clogg (deceased)
B.S. Mathematics (Magna Cum Laude), Towson State University Towson, Maryland. June 1980
University of South Carolina (2004 – 2008):
- Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Professor of Statistics
University of Minnesota (2001 – 2004):
- Dean, School of Public Health
- Professor of Biostatistics
- Assistant Vice-President for Public Health Preparedness and Emergency Response (2003 – 2004)
University of Michigan (1989 – 2000):
- Assistant/Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, School of Public Health (1996/1997 – 2000)
- Professor of Biostatistics (1998 – 2000), Associate Professor (1992 – 1998), Assistant Professor (1989 – 1992)
- Faculty Associate, Institute for Social Research (1996 – 2000)
- Professor of Statistics (2000)
University of Washington (1987 – 1989): Senior Fellow, Department of Biostatistics
University of Florida (1985 – 1989): Assistant Professor of Statistics
Cornell University (1995 – 1996): Visiting Fellow, Field of Statistics
Limburgs University Centrum (Winter, 1994): Visiting Faculty Member, Biostatistics
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Fellow, American Statistical Association
- Fellow, Committee on Institutional Cooperation Academic Leadership Program
- National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Washington
- Honorary Professor, Sichuan University
- Honorary Member of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Delta Omega National Honor Society
- Dean’s (Alumni) Recognition Award, Towson University
- Richard A. Rempel Faculty Award, University of South Carolina Student Government
- Mary Hudson Scarborough Award for Excellence in Mathematics, Towson State University
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Statistical Association
- International Biometric Society (ENAR)
University of South Carolina (USC)
- Architectural Design Review Committee
- Health Sciences South Carolina: Scientific Steering Committee (2008 – present)
- Search Committees: Executive Director for USC Foundations (2005 – 2006); Vice President for Research and Economic Development (Chair: 2008 – present)
- South Carolina Commission on Higher Education, Advisory Committee on Academic Programs, ex officio (2004 – present)
- South Carolina Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics: Board of Directors (2004 – present)
- South Carolina Research Foundation (previously, University of South Carolina Research Foundation): Board of Directors (2004 – present)
- South Carolina Women in Higher Education: Advisory Board (2005 – present)
- Southeastern Conference Academic Consortium (SECAC): Board of Directors: (2004 – present); Executive Committee (2004 – 2010): Chair-Elect (2004 – 2006); Chair (2006 – 2008); Past-Chair (2008 – 2010)
- University Center of Greenville: Board of Directors, ex officio (2005 – present); Vice Chair (2007 – 2008); Chair (2008 – 2010)
- USC Education Foundation Board of Directors, ex officio (2004 – present)
University of Minnesota (UofM), School of Public Health (SPH), Academic Health Center (AHC)
- SPH Policy Council, Chair (2001 – 2004)
- SPH Alumni Society Board of Directors, ex officio (2001 – 2004)
- SPH Centers for Public Health Education and Outreach Advisory Board (2001 – 2004)
- AHC School of Dentistry Dean Search Committee, Co-Chair (2003)
- AHC Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy Advisory Board (2001 – 2004)
- AHC Emergency Operations Task Force (2001 – 2004)
- AHC Cancer Center Deans and Directors Committee (2001 – 2004)
- AHC Minnesota Medical Foundation Board of Directors, ex officio (2001 – 2004)
- UofM Twin Cities (TC) Campus Deans Council (2001 – 2004)
- UofM TC Deans Budget Model Working Group, Chair (2003 – 2004)
- UofM TC Deans Diversity Working Group (2003 – 2004)
- UofM Comprehensive Review Committee for Dean of the College of Education and Human Development, Chair (2004)
- UofM Budget Advisory Committee Working Group on Non-academic Units and Support Services (2004)
- UofM Biomedical Ethics Deans’ Policy Council (2001 – 2004)
- UofM Children, Youth and Family Consortium Deans’ Policy Group (2001 – 2004)
- UofM Vital Aging Initiative (2001 – 2002)
- UofM Football Stadium Steering and Policy Committee (2003 – 2004)
- UofM President’s Healthy Foods, Healthy Lives Initiative Planning Committee (2003 – 2004)
University of Michigan (UofM), School of Public Health (SPH)
- SPH Advisory Committee on Academic Programs, Chair (1999 – 2000)
- SPH Advisory Committee on Academic Rank, ex officio (1999 – 2000)
- SPH Affirmative Action Committee, Chair (1999 – 2000)
- SPH Community-Based Public Health Committee, ex officio (1999 – 2000)
- SPH Search Committee for Professor in Global Health, Chair (1999/2000)
- SPH Dean’s Advisory Council (1998 – 2000)
- SPH Committee on the Future of the School (1997)
- SPH Executive Committee, ex officio (1996 – 2000)
- SPH Computing Committee (1995)
- SPH Executive Committee (1993 – 1995)
- UofM Reproductive Sciences Program Executive Committee (1999 – 2000)
- UofM Information Technology Strategic Directions Group (1998 – 2001)
- UofM Pre-Health Education Implementation Committee (1999)
- UofM Health Science Scholars Planning Group (1999)
- UofM Summer Sessions Task Force (1996 – 1998)
- UofM Executive Committees’ Steering Committee (1994 – 95)
- UofM User Executive Committee for the Future Computing Environment (1993 – 1995)
Association, Foundation, and Government Committees/Boards
- Alliance for Healthy Homes: Board of Directors (2004 – 2006)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: Section U (Statistics), Chair-Elect (2005 – 2006), Chair (2006 – 2007), Past-Chair (2007 – 2008)
- American Public Health Association: Spiegelman Award Selection Committee (1999 – 2001)
- American Statistical Association: Samuel S. Wilks Memorial Medal Committee (2001– 2006), Chair (2003 – 2006); Ann Arbor Chapter Past-President (1993 – 1994), President (1991 – 1993), Council of Chapters (1990 – 1992),
- Secretary/Treasurer (1990 – 1991)
- Association of Schools of Public Health: Executive Committee (2002 – 2004); Data Committee, Chair (2001 – 2004); Accreditation Committee Working Group (2002 – 2004); Academic Centers for Public Health Preparedness Advisory Committee (2002 – 2004); Working Group to Respond to IOM Reports (2003 – 2004); Associate Deans’ Retreat Planning Committee, Chair (2000 – 2001), Deans’ Retreat Planning Committee, Chair (2003 – 2004)
- Council on Education for Public Health: Accreditation Site Visit Teams – George Washington University (2002); University of Arkansas (2004), University of Texas (2004)
- HealthPartners Research Foundation: Board of Directors (2001 – 2004)
- International Biometric Society: ENAR Student Awards Selection Committee (1998)
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): Performance Review Committee for the Executive Director (1998 – 1999); Summer Program Advisory Committee (1999)
- Minnesota Department of Health: Eliminating Health Disparities Steering Committee (2001 – 2004); Core Advisory Group to The Joint Task Force on Health Care Costs and Quality, Chair (2002); Commissioner’s Terrorism & Health Task Force (2001 – 2004)
- National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges: Executive Committee of the Council on Academic Affairs (2006 – 2009); Committee on Economics of Higher Education (2005 – present); Voluntary System for Accountability Task Force on System Design and Information (2007)
- National Center for Food Protection and Defense: External Advisory Board (2005 – present)
- The National Academies: Workshop on Improving Research on Interactive Media and Children’s Health, Program Committee (2005 – 2006)
- Sociological Methodology: Advisory Editor, 1993-1997; Co-Editor, 1998 – 2000
- Handbook of Data Analysis, Advisory Board (Sage Publications, 2002)
- Biometrics: Associate Editor, 1997 – 2000
- Journal of the American Statistical Association, Guest editor for the Year 2000 Special Section on Statistics in Business and Social Science.
- Sociological Methods and Research: Co-Editor for two special issues in honor of the late Clifford C. Clogg. Volume 26, Number 2 (1997) and Number 4 (1998)
- Communications in Statistics: Associate Editor, 1992 – 1995
Book Reviews for Publishers
- Academic Press
- Harvard University Press
- Oxford University Press
Referee for Peer-Reviewed Journals
- American Journal of Public Health
- American Statistician
- Annals of Statistics
- Applied Statistics
- Canadian Journal of Statistics
- Communications in Statistics
- Computational Statistics & Data Analysis
- Controlled Clinical Trials
- Journal of the American Statistical Association
- Journal of Educational Statistics
- Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics
- Journal of Multivariate Analysis
- Journal of the Royal Statistical Society-Series B
- Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation
- Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference
- Psychological Bulletin
- Scandinavian Journal of Statistics
- Sociological Methodology
- Sociological Methods and Research
- Statistica Sinica
- Statistics in Medicine
Conference Planning and Organization
- Social Science and Statistics: In Honor of the Late Clifford C. Clogg (Co-Organizer and Co-Program Chair, Pennsylvania State University, 1996)
- National Agricultural Biotechnology Council Annual Meeting: Foods for Health (Conference Advisory Committee, University of Minnesota, 2002)
National Institutes of Health: Epidemiology and Disease Control Study Section 1 (1990); Biostatistics Special Study Section (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000); NICHD Special Emphasis Panel (2006)
Israeli Science Foundation (1993, 1996, 1999); National Science Foundation (1993, 1996); National Institutes of Health (1995)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), Dallas, Texas
- Johnson, Johnson, & Roy/inc. (Environmental Services), Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Kellogg Company, Battle Creek, Michigan
- Center for the Study of Prevention through Innovative Methodology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
Externally Funded Research
As Principal Investigator
National Institutes of Health: “Analysis of repeated categorical measurements.” Grant 1R29CA53787, 1990-1995, total direct costs: $349,290; renewed as 2R01CA53787, 1995-2000, total direct costs: $240,559.
National Science Foundation: “Association models for categorical data: Computation, Methodology, and Models.” Grant SES 86 – 18207, 1987-1989, total direct costs: $22,165.
More than a dozen studies funded by a variety of sponsors, including Aetna Inc, Quality Care Research Fund; Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; Centers for Disease Control; and various programs of the National Institutes of Health.
- Sobel, M.E. and M.P. Becker (editors), Sociological Methodology 2001, Washington, D.C.: American Sociological Association, 2001.
- Sobel, M.E. and M.P. Becker (editors), Sociological Methodology 2000, Washington, D.C.: American Sociological Association, 2000.
- Sobel, M.E. and M.P. Becker (editors), Sociological Methodology 1999, Washington, D.C.: American Sociological Association, 1999.
- Alexander, J.A., B.J. Weiner, L.C. Baker, S.M. Shortell, J. Geppert, and M. Becker. Care management implementation and patient safety. Journal of Patient Safety, 2: 83-96, 2006.
- Kim, J., D.R. Jacobs Jr., R.V. Luepker, E. Shahar, K.L. Margolis, and M.P. Becker. Prognostic value of a novel classification scheme for heart failure: The Minnesota Heart Failure Criteria. American Journal of Epidemiology, 164: 184-193, 2006.
- Alexander, J.A., B.J. Weiner, S.M. Shortell, L.C. Baker, and M.P. Becker. The role of organizational infrastructure in implementation of hospitals’ quality improvement. Hospital Topics, 84: 11-20, 2006.
- Weiner, B.J., J.A. Alexander, S.M. Shortell, L.C. Baker, M. Becker, and J.J. Geppert. Quality improvement implementation and hospital performance on hospital patient safety indicators. Health Services Research, 41: 307-334, 2006.
- Weiner, B.J., J.A. Alexander, L.C. Baker, S.M. Shortell, J. Geppert and M. Becker. Quality improvement structures and practices as determinants of hospital quality indicators. Medical Care Research and Review, 63: 29-57, 2006
- Minick, S.M. and M.P. Becker. Assessing rater agreement using marginal association models. Statistics in Medicine, 21: 1743-1760, 2002.
- Landrum, M.B. and M.P. Becker. Imputation strategies for the analysis of incomplete longitudinal data. Statistics in Medicine, 20:2741-2760, 2001.
- Salerno, D.F., A. Franzblau, T.J. Armstrong, R.A. Werner, and M.P. Becker. Test-retest reliability of the upper extremity questionnaire among keyboard operators. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 40:655-666, 2001.
- Koopman, J.S., S.E. Chick, C.S. Riolo, A.L. Adams, M.L. Wilson, and M.P. Becker. Modeling contact networks and infection transmission in geographic and social space using GERMS. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 27:617-626, 2000.
- Salerno, D.F., A. Franzblau, R.A. Werner, K.C. Chung, J.S. Schultz, M.P. Becker, and T.J. Armstrong. Reliability of physical examination of the upper extremity among keyboard operators. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 37:423-430, 2000.
- Herman, W.H., N.K. Janz, M.P. Becker, and D. Charron-Prochownik. Diabetes and pregnancy. Preconception care, pregnancy outcomes, resource utilization and costs. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 44:33-38, 1999.
- Salerno, D.F., R.A. Werner, J.W. Albers, M.P. Becker, T.J. Armstrong, and A. Franzblau. Reliability of nerve conduction studies among active workers. Muscle and Nerve. 22:1372-1379, 1999.
- Becker, M.P., S. Minick, I. Yang. Specifications of models for cross-classified counts: Comparisons of the log-linear models and marginal models perspectives. Sociological Methods and Research. 26:511-529, 1998.
- Becker, M.P. and I. Yang. Latent class marginal models for cross-classifications of counts. Sociological Methodology, 28:293-325, 1998.
- Sobel, M.E., M.P. Becker, and S.M. Minick. Origins, destinations, and association in occupational mobility. American Journal of Sociology. 104:687-721, 1998.
- Taylor, G.W., B.A. Burt, M.P. Becker, R.J. Genco, M. Shlossman, W.C. Knowler, and D.J. Pettitt. Non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus and alveolar bone loss progression over 2 years. Journal of Periodontology. 69(1):76-83, 1998.
- Taylor, G.W. and M.P. Becker. Increased efficiency of analyses: cumulative logistic regression vs ordinary logistic regression. Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology. 26(1):1-6, 1998.
- Taylor, G.W., B.A. Burt, M.P. Becker, R.J. Genco, and M. Shlossman. Glycemic control and alveolar bone loss progression in type-2 diabetes. Annals of Periodontology. 3:30-39, 1998.
- Becker, M.P., I. Yang, and K. Lange. EM algorithms for non-missing data. Statistical Methods in Medical Research. 6:38-54, 1997.
- Olsen, B.H., S.M. Anderson, M.P. Becker, J.W. Anderson, D.B. Hunninghake, D.J.A. Jenkins, J.C. LaRosa, J.M. Rippe, D.C.K. Roberts, D.B. Stoy, C.D. Summerbell, A.S. Truswell, T.M.S. Wolver, D.H. Morris, and V.L. Fulgoni III. Psyllium-enriched cereal lowers total and LDL-cholesterol, but not HDL-cholesterol, in hypercholesterolemic adults; Results of a Meta-Analysis. Journal of Nutrition, 127:1973-1980,1997.
- Yang, I. and M.P. Becker. Latent variable modeling of diagnostic accuracy. Biometrics. 53:948-958, 1997.
- Taylor, G.W., B.A. Burt, M.P. Becker, R.J. Genco, M. Shlossman, W.C. Knowler and D.J. Pettitt. Severe periodontitis and risk for poor glycemic control in subjects with noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of Periodontology. 67(supplement):1085-1093, 1996.
- Balagtas, C.C., M.P. Becker, and J.B. Lang. Marginal modeling of categorical data from cross-over experiments. Applied Statistics. 44:63-78, 1995.
- Ten Have, T.R. and M.P. Becker. Multivariate contingency tables and the analysis of exchangeability. Biometrics. 51:1001-1016, 1995.
- Becker, M.P. Analysis of repeated categorical measurements using models for marginal distributions: An application to trends in attitudes on legalized abortion. Sociological Methodology. 24:229-265, 1994.
- Green, L.A. and M.P. Becker. Physician decision making and variation in hospital admission rates for suspected acute ischemic heart disease: A tale of two towns. Medical Care. 32:1086-1097, 1994.
- Janz, N.K., W.H. Herman, M.P. Becker, et al. Diabetes and pregnancy: Factors associated with seeking preconception care. Diabetes Care. 18:157-165, 1994.
- Becker, M.P. and C.C. Balagtas. Marginal modeling of binary cross-over data. Biometrics. 49:997-1009, 1993.
- Seixas, N.S., T.G. Robbins, and M.P. Becker. A novel approach to the characterization of cumulative exposure for the study of chronic occupational disease. American Journal of Epidemiology. 137:463-471, 1993.
- Becker, M.P. Fitting marginal models for binary data from two-period cross-over experiments in GLIM. GLIM Newsletter. 21:13-17, 1992.
- Becker, M.P. Exploratory analysis of association models using log-linear models and singular value decompositions. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis. 13:253-267, 1992.
- Becker, M.P. and A. Agresti. Modeling pairwise interobserver agreement on a categorical scale. Statistics in Medicine. 11:101-114, 1992.
- Maio, R.F., P.E. Green, M.P. Becker, R.E. Burney, and C. Compton. Rural motor vehicle crash mortality: The role of crash severity and medical resources. Accident Analysis and Prevention. 24:631-642, 1992.
- Tittle, M.B., L. Moody, and M.P. Becker. Severity of illness and resource allocation in DNR patients in ICU. Nursing Economic$. 10:210-216, 1992.
- Tittle, M.B., L. Moody, and M.P. Becker. Nursing care of DNR patients in intensive care units. Heart & Lung. 21:235-242, 1992.
- Tittle, M.B, L. Moody, and M.P. Becker. Preliminary development of two predictive models for DNR patients in intensive care. Image: The Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 23:140-144, 1991.
- Becker, M.P. Quasisymmetric models for the analysis of square contingency tables. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society-Series B. 52:369-378, 1990.
- Becker, M.P. AS 252 Maximum likelihood estimation of the RC(M) association model. Applied Statistics. 39:152-167, 1990.
- Becker, M.P. Models for the analysis of association in multivariate contingency tables. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 84:1014-1019, 1989.
- Becker, M.P. Using association models to analyze agreement data: Two examples. Statistics in Medicine. 8:1199-1207, 1989.
- Becker, M.P. Square contingency tables having ordered categories and GLIM. GLIM Newsletter. 19:22-31, 1989.
- Becker, M.P. On the bivariate normal distribution and association models for ordinal categorical data. Statistics & Probability Letters. 8:435-440, 1989.
- Becker, M.P. and C.C. Clogg. Analysis of sets of two-way contingency tables using association models. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 84:142-151, 1989.
- Becker, M.P. and C.C. Clogg. A note on approximating correlations from odds ratios. Sociological Methods & Research. 16:407-424, 1988.
- Taylor, M.S. and M.P. Becker. Quantiles of multi-sample Smirnov type statistics. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation. 16:25-34, 1982.
- Speck, R.M., R.K. Jaster, N.P. Pronk, M.P. Becker, and K.H. Schmitz. Assessment and Outcomes of HealthPartners 10,000 Steps® Program in an Academic Worksite.
- Koopman, J.S., S.E. Chick, M.P. Becker, and M.L. Wilson. Partner based surveillance to direct control toward populations where undetected infections are spreading. In “Proceedings of the 12th World AIDS Conference”, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 271-275, 1998.
- Ten Have, T.R. and M.P. Becker. A hierarchy of first order parameter symmetric and exchangeable log-linear models. In “Proceedings of the Sixth International Workshop on Statistical Modelling”, Utrecht, The Netherlands: 289-298, 1991.
- Clogg, C.C. and M.P. Becker. Log-linear modelling with SPSS-X. In “Computer Science and Statistics: Proceedings of the 17th Symposium on the Interface”, D.M. Allen, ed. Amsterdam: North Holland 16:263-269, 1986.
- Becker, M.P. Loglinear Model. In Sage Encyclopedia Of Social Science Research Methods, M Lewis-Beck, A Bryman, and T.F. Liao, ed., Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications: 2003.
- Becker, M.P. Ordered Categorical Data. In Encyclopedia of Biostatistics, P. Armitage and T. Colton, ed., London: Wiley, 1998.
- Becker, M.P. Review of “Latent class and discrete latent trait models: Similarities and differences,” by T. Heinen, in Journal of the American Statistical Association. 93:1526, 1998.
- Becker, M.P. Review of “The statistical analysis of categorical data,” by E.B. Andersen, in Journal of the American Statistical Association. 86:828-829, 1991.
- Becker, M.P. Statistics in Business and Social Science. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 95:628-629, 2000.
- Becker, M.P. and M.E. Sobel. Editor’s introduction to the special issue in memory of Clifford C. Clogg – Part 2. Sociological Methods and Research, 26: 435, 1998.
- Becker, M.P. and M.E. Sobel. Editor’s introduction to the special issue in memory of Clifford C. Clogg – Part 1. Sociological Methods and Research, 26: 147, 1997.
Courses and Seminars
University of Minnesota (2002): College of Liberal Arts
- 3030H: Health and Society Honors Seminar
University of Michigan (1989 – 2000): School of Public Health, Department of Biostatistics
- 523 Introduction to Multiple Regression and Logistic Regression for public health graduate students
- 524 Introduction to Multiple Regression and Logistic Regression for students in the PEW Doctoral Program in Health Policy
- 602 Theory of statistical inference for first-year graduate students in Biostatistics and Statistics
- 651 Generalized linear models for first-year graduate students in Biostatistics
- 695 Categorical Data Analysis for masters degree students in Biostatistics
- 801 Lectures on likelihood-based inference in a team-taught course on statistical inference for Ph.D. students in Biostatistics
- 830 Seminar on the Analysis of Categorical Repeated Measures Data for students in Biostatistics
- 830 Lectures on Bayesian Inference in a team-taught Seminar on Selected Topics in Statistical Inference for Ph.D. students in Biostatistics
- 895 Categorical Data Analysis for Ph.D. students in Biostatistics
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research Summer Program:
- Mathematical Statistics for Social Scientists (4 week course, 1994, 1995)
- Analysis of Repeated Categorical Measurements (1 week course, 1995)
Limburgs University Centrum (Belgium, 1994):
- Discrete Data Analysis for M.Sc. students in Biostatistics
University of Washington (1989): School of Public Health, Department of Biostatistics
- Graduate seminar on the Analysis of Ordered Categorical Data for students in Biostatistics or Statistics
University of Florida (1985 – 1987): College of Science, Department of Statistics
- Introductory Statistics for undergraduate students
- Introductory Statistics for graduate students in the social sciences
- Probability Theory for undergraduates majoring in Mathematics/Statistics
- Mathematical Statistics for undergraduates majoring in Mathematics/Statistics
- Statistical Computing for graduate students in Statistics
Pennsylvania State University (1980 – 1984): College of Science, Department of Statistics
- Introductory statistics courses for: (1) general undergraduates, (2) undergraduates in the biological sciences, and (3) general first-year graduate students
Doctoral Dissertation Committees
As Chair: Ph.D. in Biostatistics at the University of Michigan (Name: Thesis Title, Defense Date, Present Employer)
- Veena R. Somayagi: Models for Mixed Categorical and Continuous Responses, February 2000, Pfizer.
- Susan M. Minick: Marginal Association Models for the Analysis of Cross-Classified Categorical Data, June 1997, Indiana University.
- Ilsoon Yang: Latent Class Marginal Models for the Analysis of Cross-Classified Categorical Data, May 1996, HSBC.
- Mary E. Landrum: An Imputation Strategy for Incomplete Longitudinal Data, July 1995, Harvard University.
- Paul E. Green: Bayesian Estimation of Rates Using a Hierarchical Log-Linear Model, January 1995, University of Michigan.
- Cecile C. Balagtas: Marginal Models for the Analysis of Cross-Over Experiments With A Categorical Response, April 1992, Pfizer.
- Thomas R. TenHave: Log-Linear Models, Parameter Symmetry, and Exchangeable Discrete Random Variables, June 1991, University of Pennsylvania.
As Member: Approximately 35 committees for students from departments of Biostatistics, Communications, Education, Environmental & Industrial Health, Epidemiology, Health Management and Policy, Mathematics and Statistics, and Nursing. Institutions include University of Florida, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, and University of Windsor (Ontario, Canada).
Conference Papers, Panels and Workshops:
- Facilitator for the June 2008 session of the American Council on Education’s Institute for New Chief Academic Officers; New York, New York, June 2008.
- Panelist on the “Faculty, Academic Integrity, and Athletics” panel and on the program wrap-up panel at the Knight Foundation sponsored Faculty Summit on Intercollegiate Athletics; National Press Club, Washington, D.C., October 2007.
- Presenter for System Design and Information on the Voluntary System of Accountability panel at the 2007 Council on Academic Affairs (National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges) Summer Meeting; Hilton Head Island, SC, July 2007.
- Panelist at the South Carolina Women in Higher Education Annual Conference; Limestone College, 2006; University of South Carolina, 2007; and Clemson University, 2008.
- Panelist on the Higher Education Challenges panel at the 2005 Roundtable on Preventing Childhood Obesity, sponsored by the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges and the U.S. Department of Agriculture; Washington, D.C., 2005.
- “Mathematical and Statistical Modeling in an Age of Bioterrorism.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association; San Francisco, CA, November 2003.
- Participant in Institute of Medicine workshop on Who Will Keep the Public Healthy, Educating Public Health Professionals for the 21st Century; Washington, D.C., May 2003.
- Panelist on the State/Local Reactor Panel on Collaborative Leadership, Turning Point Leadership Development Collaborative; Scottsdale, AZ, May 2002.
- “Latent class models for assessing diagnostic accuracy.” Presentation at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Crystal City, VA, March 2002.
- “A Random Walk on the Statistical Path.” Keynote address for the 2002 Pennsylvania State University Department of Statistics Alumni Workshop; University Park, PA, February 2002.
- “Acceleration of an EM Gradient Algorithm, With Applications to Latent Variable Models.” Presented with I. Yang at the annual meeting of the American Statistical Association, Indianapolis, IN; August 2000.
- “Imputation Strategies for the Analysis of Incomplete Longitudinal Data.” Presented at: (a) Statistical Issues in Biopharmaceutical Environments – The Eve Of the New Millennium; De Montfort University, Leicester (UK), July 1999; (b) the annual meeting of the Statistical Society of Canada; Regina, Saskatchewan, June 1999; and (c) the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association; Chicago, IL, August 1999.
- “Latent class models for analyzing diagnostic accuracy.” Presented with I. Yang at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Atlanta, GA, March 1999.
- “What is the Public’s Health and Who Owns It?” Commencement address to the Michigan Public Health Leadership Institute; East Lansing, MI, September 1998.
- “Criteria for combining categories.” Presented with S. Minick at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Pittsburgh, PA, March 1998.
- “EM algorithms without missing data.” Presented at Burning Issues In Medical Statistics; De Montfort University, Leicester (UK), July 1997.
- “Latent class marginal models for cross-classifications of counts.” Presented at Social Science and Statistics: In Honor of the Late Clifford C. Clogg; Pennsylvania State University, PA, September 1996.
- Discussant for invited papers session entitled “In Memory of Clifford C. Clogg, Current Developments in Labor Force Demography.” Presented at the annual meeting of the Population Association of American; New Orleans, LA, May 1996.
- “Analysis of Temporal Survey Data.” Presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association; San Diego, CA, October 1995.
- Workshop on physician decision-making and practice variation. Presented with L.A. Green at the annual meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making; Tempe, AZ, October 1995.
- Discussant for invited papers session entitled “Latent variable models for correlated data in medicine.” Presented at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Cleveland, OH, April 1994.
- “Coping with dropouts in model-based analyses of crossover experiments.” Presented at the Drug Information Association Workshop on Statistical Issues in the Pharmaceutical Industry; Hilton Head, SC, March 1993.
- “Methods for analyzing categorical response crossover experiments when there are dropouts.” Presented with C. Balagtas at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Philadelphia, PA, March 1993.
- “Marginal modelling of repeated categorical measurements.” Presented at the International Biometric Society ENAR Spring Meeting; Houston, TX, March 1991.
- “Exploratory analysis of association models using loglinear models and singular value decompositions.” Presented at the Fifth International Workshop on Statistical Modelling; Toulouse, France, July 1990.
- Discussant of the General Methodology Lecture II: The analysis of categorical data in longitudinal studies. Presented at Annual Joint Statistical Meetings; Washington D.C., August 1989.
- “Recent developments in modelling of rater agreement.” Presented at the SRCOS-ASA Summer Research Conference; Gatlinburg, TN, June 1987.
- “The graphics capabilities of Minitab.” Presented at the American Statistical Association Winter Conference; Orlando, FL, January 1987.
- “Simple models for the analysis of censored survival data having ordered categorical covariates.” Presented at the Annual Joint Statistical Meetings; Chicago, IL, August 1986.
- “Loglinear modelling with SPSS-X.” Presented at the 17th Symposium on the Interface of Computer Science and Statistics; Lexington, KY, March 1985.
Scholarly Presentations at Institutions (job interviews not included):
- Bergische Universitat (Germany), Department of Economics
- Bowling Green State University, Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Carnegie Mellon University, Department of Statistics
- Cornell University, Statistics Seminar
- Dartmouth College, Department of Mathematics
- Limburgs University Centrum (Belgium), Department of Biostatistics
- Pennsylvania State University, Center for Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- Pennsylvania State University, Department of Statistics
- Sichuan University (China), School of Public Health
- Syracuse University, Interdisciplinary Statistics Program
- University of Arizona, Cancer Center
- University of Florida, Department of Statistics
- University of Iowa, Department of Statistics
- University of Kent at Canterbury (England), Mathematical Institute
- University of Michigan, Department of Statistics
- University of Michigan, Institute for Social Research
- University of Michigan, School of Social Work
- University of Minnesota, Department of Statistics
- University of Minnesota, Division of Epidemiology
- University of Rochester, Department of Biostatistics
- University of Southampton (England), Department of Social Statistics
- University of South Carolina, Department of Statistics
- University of Utrecht (Netherlands), Methodology Group of the Social Sciences Faculty
- University of Washington, Department of Biostatistics